Surya is seeking an accomplished VP of Sales to manage and grow the brand across all channels of distribution and to lead, motivate and inspire its 100+ member national sales team. This critical role requires a customer-focused, results-oriented, hands-on, energetic sales leader who has a passion for the job and the skills to deliver exceptional results and scale the business. The VP of Sales plays an active part in setting the strategic direction of the company, and developing and executing tactical plans for such. This is an exceptional opportunity to be a core member of the Executive Leadership Team at a company that is known for its innovative and growth-oriented vision.
With $100M+ in revenue, Surya is the market leader within the home accessory category in the U.S. The Company distributes its products through retailers, residential and commercial interior designers, and through the online marketplace. The company carries over 60,000 SKUs and warehouses its inventory at its 1 million square foot corporate headquarters in north Georgia. The majority of its 400+ employees are based in Georgia with 40+ field sales staff located throughout the US. Surya has experienced consistent revenue growth for the last 10 years (35% CAGR) and is poised for continued double-digit sales growth.
- Market Size: Surya operates in a $10 Billion addressable market. The company is already a top five player in a fragmented $2 billion rug market. Surya’s goal is to become a clear #1 in its core product categories (rugs, pillows, lighting) and channels in the next 5 years.
- Customers: Surya sells to 10,000+ business accounts globally. Notable customers include La-Z-Boy, Basset Furniture, Arhaus, Living Spaces and Pulte Group. Customers are scattered across all 50 states with sales correlating to population densities.
- Products: Surya offers the largest selection of coordinated accessories across lifestyles and price points, while providing customized sales tools and support to simplify the buying experience for its customers. Surya’s goal is to be the one-stop shop for home accessories.
- Sales Model: To best meet its customer needs, Surya’s sales team is segmented by channel (e.g. retail/design, contract, national accounts and e-commerce) and service level (inside sales vs. field sales). Sales team members engage in a consultative selling process to sell the full suite of Surya products to their assigned account base. All sales activities are entered and tracked in salesforce.com.
Sales Strategy & Planning
- Align the sales team’s objectives with overall business strategy through active participation in corporate strategic planning, sales strategy development, sales resource planning and budgeting
- Analyze sales data to provide accurate targets and forecasts, ensuring projections are in line with operational goals and overall company growth strategy
- Constantly monitor the competitive landscape and market conditions to identify opportunities, issues, and risks
- Accountable for effective sales organization design, including sales job roles, sales coverage models and compensation and incentive programs
- Define and refine sales process and develop sales playbook for buyer personas within each channel
- Capture market share, grow revenues and generate profitable business within all assigned channels and across all product categories
- Deliver against aggressive monthly, quarterly and annual sales targets
- Develop and manage planning and execution of all major trade shows, ensuring customer experience is optimized and key sales objectives and revenue targets are met
- Leverage customer insights to identify business opportunities and strategies; proactively assess, clarify, and validate customer needs and satisfaction by engaging with accounts
- Collaborate closely with Marketing team to develop collateral materials, sales tools and promotions that drive customer acquisition, retention and growth
- Manage and enforce the sales process using salesforce.com
- Establish the sales team’s performance management process including key performance measures for all sales roles and ensure that all employees are held accountable for assigned results
- Attract, develop and retain top sales talent and implement systems and processes that ensure ongoing effectiveness and efficiency of the sales team
- Provide support, leadership, mentoring, coaching and development to the field sales team on a regular basis by accompanying them on sales visits and providing added value, insight, and best practices to overcome customer challenges
- Provide leadership and coaching to the sales management team, while fostering a culture of accountability, professional development, high performance, and customer-focus
- Develop and deliver product and sales training programs and ensure all team members are cohesive and consistent in their sales interactions
The ideal candidate will have prior experience as sales leader in a high-growth B2B company with multiple product categories and channels of distribution. He/she will be a hands-on leader who moves easily from strategic/conceptual to the tactical daily issues and must have a proven track record of building and leading a highly effective consultative sales organization that can perform as the business scales at a rapid rate.
Additionally the candidate will demonstrate the following leadership competencies:
Consistently strives to achieve an aggressive set of goals even under challenging and changing circumstances; leads and drives achievement by setting high standards and holding team members accountable for performance.
Communicates with Confidence and Skill
Is adept at representing the company with any audience; inspires and motivates team members to excel; able to influence cross-functional teams, shows confidence and optimism in the future of the organization, and engages others to join in building that future.
Leverages Strong Financial Acumen
Understands and appreciates the importance of fiscal planning and is highly capable of thinking strategically about financial implications and alternatives as they relate to business planning and strategies.
Continually demonstrates resilience and perseverance in the face of disappointment and setbacks; has a high moral character, and continually models an enthusiastic and positive outlook and approach to challenges.
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent required, MBA preferred
- Minimum of 15 years of sales management success in a business-to-business environment
- Proven experience leading a high performance sales team
- Strong analytical skills with demonstrated ability to interpret data into actionable items
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; ability to communicate and formally present across all levels of organization, customer base, and outside parties
- Strong business acumen and ability to think and operate cross functionally
- “Hands-on" management style; adaptable to a fast-paced, changing environment
- High sense of urgency and personal accountability
- Experience with CRM systems (salesforce.com preferred)
- Position requires extensive travel.
The position is based in Greater Atlanta (Cartersville, GA), a 40 minute drive from Downtown Atlanta.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS
Surya will offer the successful candidate an attractive compensation package reflecting the size and scope of the role. Other employee benefits include medical, dental, and vision insurance, 401K retirement savings with employer match, company paid life insurance and disability coverage, paid time off, paid holidays, commuter transportation program, a free, in-building fitness center and an Employee Assistance Program.